Contact Us
What's New
An Introduction
Health in Canada
Higher Studies
Hiring in Canada
Housing in Canada
Migration to Canada
Welfare Schemes
Your Rights & Duties

Provincial Nominee Programs

Skilled Worker Class

Business Class

Immigration Today


Online Assessments


Online Payments

Study Permits

Work Permits

Visitor Visa

Permanent Resident Cards

Change Terms & Conditions

Humanitarian & Compassionate Cases

Live-in Caregivers

Refugee Claimants


A permanent resident is a person who can live in Canada permanently but who is not a Canadian citizen. A live-in caregiver is a person who:

• was approved to participate in the Live-in Caregiver Program at a visa office outside of Canada; and,

• has a valid work permit to work as a live-in caregiver for children, the elderly or the disabled with an employer in Canada.

Who may apply?

You may apply for permanent residence as a live-in caregiver if you:

• are living in Canada;

• have a valid work permit to work as a live-in caregiver;

• have completed two years of authorized full-time employment as a live-in caregiver within three years from the date you entered Canada under the Live-in Caregiver Program;

• have lived in your employer’s home;

• told the truth about your education or training when you first applied for a work permit as a live-in caregiver; and,

• are able to support yourself and your family members without the need for social assistance or welfare.

Also, you and any family members must:

• pass an immigration medical examination;

• pass criminal and security clearances;

• not be the subject of an immigration inquiry or appeal; and,

• have valid passports or travel documents.

Note: If you live in Quebec, your application must also be approved by the provincial immigration authority, called the Ministere des relations avec les citoyens et de l’immigration (MRCI). You do not need to fill out any forms; we will apply on your behalf. If the MRCI approves your application, it will give you a Certificat de sélection du Québec, which grants you permanent resident status in Quebec. If the MRCI refuses your application, you will be given the opportunity to apply in another province.

Proof of two years as a live-in caregiver

In order to prove that you have worked in Canada as a live-in caregiver for two years in the three years since you first came as a live-in caregiver, you must attach all the items listed in the Original Documents section of the Document Checklist (IMM 5282).

Do not submit your application until you have fully completed the required 24 months of authorized employment as a live-in caregiver. If you do, your application will be returned to you.

Mailing your application

Send your application to us once you have read and followed all the instructions in the guide and attached all the items on the Document Checklist (IMM 5282).

Send everything in a 23 cm x 30.5 cm (9" x 12") envelope. Address the envelope to:

Case Processing Centre
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1W3

Be sure to include a return address. The envelope will require more postage than a normal letter. To avoid having your application returned to you, have the post office weigh it before mailing. Do not include prepaid return envelopes.

What happens after I have mailed my application?

If you have completed your application properly, it will be reviewed by an immigration officer and a letter will be sent to you within 90 days. The letter will let you know if your application was approved for processing in Canada, refused, or referred to a Canada Immigration Centre for further review. If you have not heard anything after 90 days, phone a Call Centre as indicated on the Contact Information page.

If you have not completed your application properly or have left out information, your application will be returned to you.

If you and your family members meet all immigration requirements, we will contact you to arrange an interview. You and your family members in Canada will likely be given your permanent residence at that time. Once you are a permanent resident, if you indicated that family members outside of Canada will join you immediately, we will let the visa office know to issue permanent resident visas to them. If you indicated that your family members will not be joining you at this time, we will take no further action.

How do I find out what is happening with my application?

Once you have received acknowledgement from our office that your application has been received, you can find out the status of your application by logging on to our Web site at www.cic.gc.ca. Click on the heading, "on-line services" and go to "E-Client Application Status". From there, follow the instructions to check your status. If you do not want the status of your application on the Internet, you can remove it by selecting the appropriate check box.

You may also check your status or remove access from the Internet by phoning a Call Centre.

What if I move or need to update information on my application?

If you have mailed your application and you move or need to provide new information, you should phone the nearest Call Centre immediately. New information may be that: answers to questions on the application for permanent residence change, you are convicted of a criminal offence, or you no longer want to continue with your application.

Becoming a permanent resident

Generally, it takes 10 months for single applicants and 18 months for applicants with overseas family members to have their applications processed. (These processing times are only applicable for applications that were completed correctly, signed and had all the required documents attached and fees paid.) We have no control over the time it takes to complete medical, criminal and security checks. These checks may cause processing times to increase.

To ensure that you have legal status in Canada, you should apply to extend your immigration status while your application for permanent residence is in process. You have legal status for the period of time indicated on a visitor document (work permit, study permit, visitor record) or temporary resident permit. Use the guide, Applying to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada to apply for an extension. You should apply for your extension at least two months before your immigration status expires.

Working for other employers

Your current work permit allows you to work as a live-in caregiver for a specific employer. You may continue to work for this employer for the duration of the work permit. However, if you want to work for someone else or in another occupation, you must apply for a new work permit. You will need the guide Applying to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada.

It is illegal to work without a valid permit.


If you wish to take a course that is longer than six months, you will need a study permit. To apply for a study permit, you will need the guide, Applying to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada. If you take a course that is six months or less, you do not need a study permit.

If you already have a study permit, you may continue to study for the duration of the document.

Leaving Canada

If you leave Canada while your application is being processed, we cannot guarantee that you will be allowed to re-enter. This is especially true if you need a Canadian temporary resident visa (a visa affixed to a page in your passport).

What if my application is refused?

If your application is refused, you will be sent a letter. You will be advised to leave Canada before your current work permit expires. The processing fee will not be refunded. If you paid the right of permanent residence fee, it will be refunded.

Your application may be refused if you or your family members do not meet immigration requirements.

Some examples are: you do not qualify as a live-in caregiver, you or your family members do not pass criminal or security checks, you do not have enough money to support yourself and your family members, or you or your family members do not pass medical examinations.





CIC Call Centres

Community Service Centres

Fee Schedule

Medical Examination

Police Clearances

Your Rights & Obligations

Who Can Represent You