Contact Us
What's New
An Introduction
Health in Canada
Higher Studies
Hiring in Canada
Housing in Canada
Migration to Canada
Welfare Schemes
Your Rights & Duties

Provincial Nominee Programs

Skilled Worker Class

Business Class

Immigration Today


Online Assessments


Online Payments

Study Permits

Work Permits

Visitor Visa

Permanent Resident Cards

Change Terms & Conditions

Humanitarian & Compassionate Cases

Live-in Caregivers

Refugee Claimants


Assemble all your documents as listed. Check (x) each applicable item on the checklist and attach the checklist to your documents (a paper clip will do). Place all the documents in a sealed envelope.

Do not send originals of any documents (send copies only). See boxes Certification of Documents and Translation of Documents below to determine whether your documents must first be certified and/or translated to English or French before they are submitted to the visa office.

If you are unable to provide any of the requested documentation for special reasons, please attach a written explanation with full details as to why that documentation is unavailable.


Check that it is completed, signed and dated. Your signed application should include:

1. Application for Permanent Residence in Canada with a stapled envelope containing photos.

2. Schedule 1 - Background / Declaration completed and signed by you and each of your family members 18 years or older.

3. Schedule 2 - Refugees Outside Canada completed and signed by you and each of your family members 18 years or older.

If you want us to deal with a Canadian representative on your behalf, or you have a sponsor in Canada, be sure you have completed and signed the Authority to Release Information to Designated Individuals form. Include in the same envelope the completed application forms for your de facto dependants and extended family members that are also applying for permanent residence.


Birth, marriage, final divorce, annulment or separation certificates for you and spouse; death certificate for former spouse if applicable.


Children’s birth certificates (which name their parents); adoption papers for adopted dependent children; proof of custody for children under the age of 22 and proof that the children may be removed from the jurisdiction of the court; if the children will not accompany you to Canada, proof that you have fulfilled any obligation stated in custody agreements. Statutory declaration that the remaining father or mother has no objection to the child living in Canada.

4 BACKGROUND DOCUMENTS (if applicable)

Any document to support your answers to questions in the Background/Declaration form such as completion of military service card, military records, membership cards or any documents showing your association or involvement in any social, political, vocational and cultural organization.


Passports or travel documents for yourself, your spouse and dependent children, if you have any. Include only copies of pages showing the passport number, date of issue and expiration, your photo, name, date and place of birth. If you live in a country other than your country of nationality, include a copy of your visa for the country in which you currently live.

6 SETTLEMENT FUNDS (if applicable)

If you are applying as a self-supporting family, provide proof of sufficient funds currently available to maintain yourself and your family members until you are self-supporting in Canada. These funds must be readily transferable to Canada in a convertible currency. Financial statements for the last three (3) years (bank accounts, shares certificates, portfolio, etc.). Proof of assets (properties, buildings, lands, etc.).

Note: If you carry more than $10,000 Canadian in cash funds upon your entry to Canada, you will have to disclose these funds to a Canadian official upon arrival. Cash funds means money (coins or bank notes), securities in bearer form (stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills etc.) and negotiable instruments in bearer form (bankers drafts, cheques, travellers' cheques, money orders etc.). Failure to disclose can result in fines and imprisonment.


If an organization or group of people has sponsored you and you have received a copy of their Sponsorship Undertaking, attach a copy of the Sponsorship Undertaking to your application.


Any document you believe may be relevant to your need for protection, which may help us to better understand your situation. As well, any record to demonstrate your adaptability, initiative, motivation, or resourcefulness. All school certificates, diplomas, and degrees for you and your spouse or common-law partner (if applicable), including apprenticeship or trade papers. Letters of reference or work certificates from present and past employers for you and your spouse or common-law partner.

Certification of Documents

The following Canadian visa offices require certification (by a notary) of all copies of documents submitted in support of your application:

Bogota (Colombia), Ankara (Turkey)

Translation of Documents

If your documents are not already in English or French, the following Canadian visa offices require certified translations (English or French) of all documents submitted in support of your application. You must also include a copy of the original.

London (United Kingdom), Rome (Italy), Accra (Ghana), Abidjan (Côte d'Ivoire), Nairobi (Kenya), Pretoria (South Africa), Cairo (Egypt), Damascus (Syria), New Delhi (India), Bangkok (Thailand)




CIC Call Centres

Community Service Centres

Fee Schedule

Medical Examination

Police Clearances

Your Rights & Obligations

Who Can Represent You